Header Ads

Kenyan man who underwent mistaken brain surgery has been discharged

The two men who were involved in a surgery mix-up at Kenyatta National Hospital, have been discharged, Nation reports.

In an interview, the two patients, John Mbugua Nderitu, 38, and Samwel Kimani Wachira, 37, — said they were improving since their admission.

“Except for intermittent headaches, I am doing well,” Mr Mbugua, who left the facility in the company of his three sisters, said. Mr Kimani, who was in the company of his older brother and lawyer, said: “I am well now.”

The two men were taken to KNH on the same day, February 19. Whereas Kimani does not remember how he got to the hospital, Mbugua was taken to the referral facility by his relatives.

This is after one of his sisters, Pauline Njeri Nderitu, received a call from a Good Samaritan that her brother had been taken to a nearby clinic following a hit-and-run accident involving a motorcycle.

At KNH, the doctor who reviewed Mbugua recommended a head surgery, but Kimani was the one who eventually went under the knife, following a mistake by the medical team who have since been sanctioned.

The family, through their lawyer, is demanding for the medical files, saying they did not know the circumstances under which Kimani was operated on.

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.